How I Got Started At Odesk

I have known a lot of people who started getting a job at oDesk, but eventually gave up, frustrated and with utter disbelief that no one can truly succeed here.  What with the tests, the biddings and all.  

I would like to let you know that it could be done, just take it one step at a time.  I followed the process, and now I earn minimum of $200 a week here for a 6-hours-per-day work -- not bad for a homebased job where I can work anytime and anywhere that I can bring my computer to.      


I started this out last December, with the intention of really looking for a home-based job, one that would not require me to pay anything, and a job that I could take with me when I would soon move to the United States (I am currently in Makati City, Philippines but plans have been set for me to follow my family in California anytime soon).  My goals were set, I knew what I wanted to do, and I knew, too, that I would have to take it one step at a time.  I didn't let go of my present job at first-- I made sure that I was making progress at oDesk every week, until such time that I was ready to let it go.  

1.     Set-up your profile.  First things first -- I made my profile (online resume) at oDesk, and took two required online tests to get started.  The tests are really easy.

a)  To get started, click HERE (if you see an error, don't worry about that, you're       still on track).  Once you're on the page, click HOME to get to the oDesk              home page.        
      
b)  On the top-right section of the Home Page, click CREATE AN ACCOUNT.  
c)  Sign up as a FREELANCE CONTRACTOR. 

2.     Apply.  Once my profile was set-up, I was ready to apply for the many jobs that they offer.  There are several categories listed—web development, software development, networking and information systems, writing and translation, administrative support, design and multimedia, customer service, sales and marketing and business services.  My forte, I believe, has always been writing, so I focused my applications on that.

Tip :  Your application and portfolio (of previous works) spell a difference.  Before getting started, come up with three or four relevant articles under your name, even if they’re not paid and just rely on passive income.  Triond.com is a good venue for publishing your work.  

3.     Realize the importance of Feedback Scores.  In the writing and translation category, the job listings are endless, offering fixed-rate jobs and hourly ones.  I, of course, went straight to the hourly-rate jobs, hoping to get selected with low bids that start at $3 per hour to $7 per hour.  After a few attempts, though, I realized I could never get selected as I haven’t had any previous employers yet – I don’t have the necessary feedback scores that employers require.




4.     Start with small jobs for a week or two.  With the feedback scores in mind, I took fixed rate jobs of as low as $1 per article, making sure my employers were happy with my work, prompting them to give me perfect feedback scores of  5, with flattering written feedbacks.  

How to make them happy?  Make sure your work is flawless (no grammatical error, correct spelling), and submit it ahead of schedule.  If he needs it in 24 hours, submit your work within 10 hours. 

5.     You’re all set.  Once I had three feedback scores to boast of, I was all set for the bigger ones.  And I was lucky enough to find a few good ones.  I retained one client based in Idaho, U.S.A., who is really, really wonderful. And I’m hoping you’d find yours, too.  Good luck!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things New Triond Members and Online Writers Ought To Know

How To Track International Packages

Quick Test For Modals